The Year of Ultimate HEALTH

Are you ready to start disgesting the issues that plague your health? Join us for the Year of Ultimate Health for Baby Boomers!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sneaking Sugar at the Fair

We went to the local Fair this evening. I've been wanting to go and sneak a cotton candy ever since I saw Bethany Frankel have some on her show, "Bethany Getting Married?" (Yes, I watch it; it's an enjoyable distracton).

After walking the entire fair, I couldn't find one cotton candy vendor. Maybe they don't make it anymore, or maybe they just don't sell it at our local Fair. Well, I found a moment to get off on my own in the Commerce Display Building and lo and behold, there it was. A candy display with vanilla fudge.

I always think things go better with fudge; so I ordered a 1/4 pound piece for $3.50. The amount really was too much to pay the amount given I was desparate; or so I thought. I walked around the corner while my husband was deeply entrenched in learning about some item from another vendor. Hiding the fudge in my purse, I pulled off bits and pieces, savoring them as I walked. However, I did notice something distinct.

I'd figured the fudge was fresh but it just didn't taste as good as I remembered. I could taste the artificial flavorings and it was too sweet. I kept thinking of the headache I expected to get and wondered how many calories I was consuming with that one piece of unnecessary candy.

Things had really changed. After that, nothing looked good. I shared a few bites of a Jalepeno and Cheese Pretzel fresh out of the oven that my husband got and left it at that. By the time I got home, the stomach ache started, the gurgling deep inside and reality hit. Guess my stomach didn't want to house a so-called treat that was full of white sugar and artificial flavorings. The pretzel probably didn't help either.

But I learned a painful yet needful lesson. I've gone through steps to start changing my body dynamics. I don't like going backwards in life so I have to move forward. What was noticably obvious was that there was little to nothing to eat for a person who is seeking to be healthy at the Fair. Sweets, salt, sugar, syrup were the main fare. All I found was roasted corn on the cob and the pretzels but that was about it. Some vendors had a few items; a bag of natural almounds among the sugar coated, salted ones. Even the roasted peanuts are gone.

There's a great opportunity to explore for the food entrepreneur.

No comments: